Photo of Kenneth L. Gibson Jr.
Photo of Kenneth L. Gibson Jr.
Photo of Kenneth L. Gibson Jr.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Criminal Law
  4.  » Expungement


As anyone who has been convicted of a crime knows, the repercussions can be far-reaching. While serving time may be the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks about the consequences for a conviction, in reality, even after time is served the conviction can impact their life. A criminal record can make it hard for someone who has been convicted of a felony, and paid their debt to society, to find a place to live or get a job.

Following serving time you may be anxious to move forward and begin a new chapter of life. With a felony on your criminal record, this is often easier said than done. Fortunately, Kentucky recently passed a bill that makes it possible for some residents of the state who were convicted of felonies to have their record cleared.

Qualifying Convictions

Not every felony conviction qualifies for this relief. Specifically, the convictions must be for nonviolent Class D felonies. Currently, that makes it applicable to 61 felonies. Examples of felonies that fall into this classification include theft, possession of a controlled substance and failure to pay child support.

Clearing Your Record

In addition to being convicted of a qualifying felony conviction, following the completion of your sentence you must maintain a clear record for five years. Individuals who meet those requirements can have their case reopened, the sentences served vacated and then the record expunged. This method is important since it makes it possible for job seekers who have been convicted of, and served time for, a felony, to honestly say they do not have a conviction on their record, while filling out a job application.

Contact Us For Help

We understand the importance of securing a fresh start following a criminal conviction. Let us help you open yourself to new opportunities. To learn more about how a lawyer at Gibson Law Offices may be able to help you, please call us at 502-403-2798, or contact an attorney online.